Domain changed to archive.palanq.win . Feb 14-25 still awaits import.
[17 / 3 / ?]

Gen 1 "Safari World" Challenge idea?

No.38033399 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
Hey guys, after watching some videos of glitching these games and messing with ACE and game encounters, a few choice clips led me to wanting to try a challenge that l don't think has ever been attempted. As far as l'm aware of, anyways.

I've ran Nuzlockes, but l'm wanting to try something l've deemed the "Safari World" Challenge. It's simple enough but I think it has enough possible variables to keep things interesting over the course of the game.

Maybe a ROM hack could be that turns all random encounters into "Safari Zone" encounters. Meaning...

- You as the player are given 30 Safari Balls, as per the zone, from the beginning of the game until the very end. That is it You can throw rocks, bait, run all you want, but you only have the 30 to work with. Once these are used, they are gone for good and whatever it is you've managed to catch will be your ingame team. With only these 30, you must try to catch yourself a team with which to defeat all Gym Leaders and the Elite 4 with and, eventually, Cerulean Cave.

- Not sure how starters should be considered. Should they be excluded, randomized, or kept as is as a jump off point? Randomization sounds the funnest.

- Seeing as no random encounters will be actual "battles", the encountered Pokemon cannot be weakened or inflicted with Status effects. Every Pokemon will be "as difficult as possible" to catch. Should you use your Safari Balls early in-game to create a base team of 6 to work all game with, or save them as long as possible to try to catch the late game 'mons? Do you go for Legendaries with your limited resources? Can you manage your team and resources well enough to Catch Mewtwo by end game? For the sake of time and simplicity, random encounters would be turned off once your Safari Balls are all used.