Domain changed to archive.palanq.win . Feb 14-25 still awaits import.
[234 / 38 / ?]

No.40086642 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
Sirfetch'd is my least disliked Pokemon of Sword and Shield but to me it exemplifies everything wrong with current designs when compared to Farfetch'd.

Look at the leek. It went from Farfetch'd using a leak as an improvised weapon to Sirfetch'd having a massive sharpened onion spear with peel hilt and an onion pommel. It's completely unnatural and only exists to look funny and quirky.
Look at its face. It went from Farfetch'd's mostly neutral expression -- albeit with the eyebrows that implied an active and possibly aggressive personality -- and turned into pure smug. It's just a character trope and personality type. There's very little that could be left up to the imagination. It's almost impossible to imagine a Sirfetch'd being anything other than smug, and almost guaranteed that all Sirfetch'd in-universe will be smug.

The body type changed from Farfetch'd's natural avian body to Sirfetch'd's cartoonish puffed-out chest. It's just a cartoony way to say "look he's strong and tough".

I don't know if James Turner is solely to blame but they managed to cartoonishly overemphasize the traits that made Farfetch'd unique, and now it's not an animal that fights. It's just a cartoon character.

I brought this up in another thread but I wanted to mention it here, in case other anons have noticed this trend. It's been in other gens, for sure, but I feel like it defines Gen 8 as a whole right now.