Domain changed to archive.palanq.win . Feb 14-25 still awaits import.
[2 / 1 / ?]

No.40109610 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
There is nothing inherently wrong with evolutions that "Just get bigger" so long as there is a change that differentiates it enough to where the evolution isn't just a scaled up version of the pokemon.
Though the Bulbasaur line is pushing it, all three gen 1 starters do this pretty well: charizard grows wings and blastoise gets cannons. The same could be said for the gen 4 evolutions: most of them are what people would classify as "just getting bigger", but they're differentiated enough to where it doesn't look like just a scale up.

The fact of the matter is, however, that even if you dislike "Just getting bigger" evolutions, you cannot deny that they're better than "subvert expectations" evolutions. I'm referring, of course, to the Rowlett, Litten, and Popplio lines (though the latter is less guilty of that than the others and faces different problems altogether). If we had gotten an evolution to Rowlett that, say, had the trope of projectiles while still keeping a mostly owl-like body shape, we would have gotten a better final line than the "feather fingers" decidueye. Litten suffers even worse from this with his evolution becoming more humanoid than cat, ruining the entire design, in my opinion (my first run in Sun and Moon, I picked Litten and kept it at its torracat stage for my playthrough).

Overall, while you may not like "It just gets bigger", know that the alternatives look worse. Thank you for your time.