Domain changed to archive.palanq.win . Feb 14-25 still awaits import.
[51 / 7 / ?]

I don't think James Turner is a bad artist...

No.40694346 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
I think he's a bad art director. This is just a theory of mine but hear me out

First, let's be real; he only got the job because Galar is Britain and he's a Britbong (Actually a Borger Britbong but close enough for them) and it was good PR to show everyone that a British artist was in charge. Because of this, never once did they assess his leadership capabilities and it's clear to me based on what we've seen that he doesn't know how to lead.

Obviously he didn't design all of these Pokémon himself. Hell I'd be shocked if he designed even half of them. The problem from what I can tell is he doesn't know how to say "no". A key part of his job as the art director is to look at the designs people bring him and tell them what to fix, if anything. Seeing as this was his first time being in charge of anything I suspect that he tried to be the "good guy" by being lax and uncritical of the designs people brought him to make people like him, impress Sugimori, and make it seem like everything was running smoothly.

So that's why a whole lot of these mons suck ass: they're all sloppy first drafts that haven't been pulled through the wringer of scrutiny that past Pokémon have. Even his own designs suffer from this because before Turner had to run his design past Sugimori but now he's the boss and everyone is their own worst critic.

What do you think?