Domain changed to archive.palanq.win . Feb 14-25 still awaits import.
[12 / 5 / ?]

Analyzing the Galar Dex

No.40772902 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
inb4 >effortposting on /vp/

So now the dex is out and we're all having a good dose of depression over the old friends who won't be coming with us to the HD(ish) region of Galar. Everyone has their own favorites though, so let's see on average how well or poorly Game Freak did. This analysis uses the data from r/pokemon's June 2019 Favorite Pokémon Survey, n=52725, available here: https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemon/comments/c0w4s0/favourite_pok%C3%A9mon_survey_results/. I think this is a pretty robust dataset as far as online polls go, although due to the demographics I expect that compared to the general fanbase, some normie Pokemon like Pikachu are underrepresented, newer Pokemon are slightly underrepresented, and cool Pokemon generally get more favorites than cute Pokemon. Potential mythicals like Mew and Meltan in Gen 8 were not considered, and Mega Evolutions and other alternate forms are not included in the dataset. Galarian forms map to their native forms.

>How Many People's Favorites are Represented?
Let's start simple: how many people's favorite Pokemon is in SwSh? Totaling all the included Pokemon's favorite counts gives us 22,377 people, or 42.4%. Only having UNDER HALF of people's favorites represented is not a very good start. When we further break this down by generation we see the majority of favorites are from Gen 1; this isn't surprising in the slightest, because Gen 1 has the most favorites in the data and it's not even close. It's more effective to look at percentages here in the bar chart, to see how well GF did at including favorite Pokemon within each generation. (e.g., out of all the people who's favorite Pokemon is in Gen 1, how many of those people have favorites in the game?) Gens 2, 3 and 4 fared the worst here, while the later gens performed much better than I expected. Since more people polled like Gen 1-4 Pokemon than 5-7, this is a surprising choice to me, but it's also very possible newer Pokemon are a weak spot in this data set.