Domain changed to archive.palanq.win . Feb 14-25 still awaits import.
[18 / 5 / ?]

No.42688224 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
Sorry for the wall of text, but I gotta get all this out of the way.
If pic related was canonically Fighting/Water and people were arguing that it should be mono-Fighting you'd all poke fun at them, especially in a regional dex already filled with 10 fully evolved mono-Fighting types. Yet people argue against it being Fighting/Water and I can't really imagine why other than accepting it with a "what you see is what you get" attitude. I put down every argument I could image against Fighting/Water Grapploct and what I have to say about it:
>Nothing about its design other than the fact that it is an aquatic creature points to it being a Water type.
That's all a Pokemon needs for it to possibly become a Water type. It's the bare minimum, but it works. Nothing wrong with that.
>Not all aquatic creatures need to be Water type.
This is true, but that doesn't mean that they need to explicitly force that mindset. Subverting expectations is neat, but it isn't necessary especially when it seems like the feature people expected could have been considered a boon. Reminder that some people here were disappointed when it was revealed that the starters didn't have secondary types, because they'd be losing out on important resistances and/or STAB options. Like that, this surprise was one of those that aren't necessarily a positive.
>Learning Water moves doesn't equate to being a Water type.
I'd argue this too, but Grapploct learns basically every handy Water type move that one would expect your run-off-the-mill Water type to have. It's not like Gamefreak just gave it Octazooka and called it a day, they gave it everything it could have possibly asked for (except maybe Aqua Jet and Scald) on both physical and special spectrums. It clearly can grasp (grapple?) using Water as an element and part of itself.
(to be continued)