Domain changed to archive.palanq.win . Feb 14-25 still awaits import.
[39 / 5 / ?]

No.43281658 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
Is anyone else sick of seeing people call Gen 1 any of the following?
>fundamentally broken
>heavily flawed
>full of glitches/bugs
>poorly aged
The actual biggest problems with Gen 1 are the movesets being bad. Nobody actually cares if Ghost-type moves don't affect Psychic-types. Nobody actually cares if Focus Energy doesn't work. Nobody actually cares about nitpick bugs that will never affect you in a normal playthrough. What about all these "b-but the competitive meta is broken" points? I want you to tell me the last time you played Gen 1 competitively against another human. Was it never? I'm thinking it was never. Not only were the games obviously originally designed around a single player experience (obvious considering Gen 2 made great strides in making the competitive more balanced), but 99% of all people playing Gen 1 nowadays are not competitively battling.

What is the obsession for people to cut down Gen 1 and act like it's this hugely flawed mistake where it's a miracle they even managed to make it a phenomenon? For its time, Gen 1 was a genuinely good Game Boy game with fun mechanics and monster designs, a likable world, more ways to build your team than in any other handheld RPG of the time... guys, it was never intended to be a flawless masterpiece, it was intended to be a fun simple RPG with cool monsters that anyone could pick up and play, and it completely succeeded at that.