Domain changed to archive.palanq.win . Feb 14-25 still awaits import.
[138 / 11 / ?]

No.44207191 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
What drives so many people to use cookie cutter Smogon teams online instead of getting good and using their favorites? Seriously.

>but Ferrothorn just happens to be one of my favorite pokemon!
Sure, but you can't tell me with a straight face that people actually like Amoongus or the genies. There might be a few people that actually like these eyesores, but most people only use them for their competitive viability. They don't like their design and have no personal attachment to them.

>My favorites are unusable garbage!
Half of them are probably good enough to at least be usable, even if they are outclassed by others. You just didn't bother trying to make them work or lack the skill to play them well.

>I'm in it to win! Obviously I'll use the best mons available!
This is what I really don't understand. I don't see the satisfaction in winning with a team of pokemon you don't actually like. I give zero shits about the ladder or points or whatever, after all you lose most of them by forfeiting against dozens of cancerous teams as soon as you see them.

When I win, the satisfaction comes from having used my favorite pokemon in a fierce battle AND proving my opponent that my favorites are good enough to beat his ass. I might lose sometimes, probably because I don't bother with tiers and just play on Anything Goes, but it's fun and I do win 70% of the time. If I used a cookie cutter smogon set full of OU eyesores, considering my skill, I would probably win 90% of the time. But I'd feel ZERO satisfaction, no fun whatsoever, using those pokemon. I wouldn't be spending time with my favorites and I wouldn't be proving ther worth to anyone. I'd just be winning points using ugly ass pieces of shit I don't even like.

What exactly do people get out of using those hideous shitters just to win? Where does the satisfaction come from? Seriously, I don't get the appeal.