Domain changed to archive.palanq.win . Feb 14-25 still awaits import.
[30 / 5 / ?]

Evaluating the worth of modern Pokémon games in the near future.

No.46477883 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
'Scuse my fag vocabulary. So anyway I did a quick cursory glance on pricecharting.com to gather a rough estimate of each individual gen's worth (As a loose cart) since I was curious lately about the worth of past and new Pokémon titles. I round them out for OCD and clarity even if a title is worth 2 or 3 dollars more.

(For the "old-school" duo of Gen 1 and 2)

Red and Blue are about $40 and Yellow is about $30. Pretty expensive for a Game Boy game but nothing too unaffordable if one so desires. A bit of nostalgia is at play as is the diminishing supply of carts with non-dead batteries. That's your Gen 1. Yellow is surprisingly worth less at $35 despite being the first of the "extra" 3rd versions. I guess it isn't as good? For Gen 2 we have Gold and Silver at about $35, with Crystal commanding a whopping $75. Again just like last time the first 2 versions are expensive but within reach, but now the 3rd version is beyond expensive. I attribute this as always going forward with this to 1. Not as many units produced and also less purchased due to initial gen filtering the norms, 2. Being considered very good by the fandom and therefore sought after. 3. Same problem as usual with the battery.

(For the "post-Pokeboom" games of Gen 3 and 4, before Platinum)

Ruby and Sapphire command $40, Emerald at $90. What I said last before this applies again so no use repeating myself. The only interesting part here are FireRed and LeafGreen being around 60. These are good games but I find it very odd, perhaps nostalgia doubled down here for a different generation of kids. Diamond and Pearl are $35. Most likely recent news of BDSP has lowered them from 40, as well as the gen usually being considered slow and undesirable. Which is peculiar considering failure rates of DS carts are way more prevalent than GB/GBC carts with dead batteries, corrupted saves and messed up prongs. These ought to cost more, but I guess they are that undesirable.

Cont. in next post (1/2)