Domain changed to archive.palanq.win . Feb 14-25 still awaits import.
[9 / 2 / ?]

Gen V

No.48819119 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
Did anyone else besides me like Gen V at first but gradually come to dislike it?
I really liked how colorful the region was compared to the dull pastel colors and ugly gates of Sinnoh.
The major cities like Nimbasa, Castelia, and Driftveil felt more lively than Jubilife, Lilycove, and even Goldenrod.
The Seasons mechanic was cool at the time and made the world field more immersive than in the previous Gens.
Going from regions like Sinnoh and Johto, where Kanto Pokemon were more common than Sinnoh or Johto Pokemon, it felt quite refreshing to only encounter new Pokemon. Even the caves had Woobats and Roggenrolas instead of Zubats and Geodudes and the water had Frillish instead of Tentacool.
The C-Gear interface was nice, as was the Entralink, Join Avenue, and the silly Dream World mini-games like Ice Cream scoop. I liked how you could access the GTS from any Pokemon Center rather than having to go to the Global Terminal in a specific city.
I also liked how Fake GTS servers (accessed by changing your DNS) started emerging at the time and sites like Pokecheck existed to check whether or not your Pokemon were legal. I never hacked in the previous Gens (aside from the Gen 2 cloning glitch) because I was afraid I'd mess up the game, so this was the first Gen where I injected Pokemon since it felt safer.
On the other hand, now that their novelty has worn off, I now somewhat resent these games since they added new, stronger Pokemon that contributed to powecreep, gave certain older Pokemon broken Hidden Abilities, and now dislike the blatant Kanto knockoffs for being uninspired and artificially inflating the National Dex, thereby giving GameFreak an excuse for Dexit.
I know that most fans probably disliked Gen V when it came out and have grown to like it, but did anyone else have the opposite relationship with those games like I have?