Domain changed to archive.palanq.win . Feb 14-25 still awaits import.
[62 / 20 / ?]

No.48978771 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
In the first place, my friends, do not by any means suppose when I rise to speak that you are about to hear a discourse that is extraordinary or remarkable; I mean, for example, one composed to produce a kind of pleasure or to exhibit beauty or wisdom. For possibly I should not in any event have been equal to that sort of thing, but it may be that by good luck I have deceived the public and all the cities; yet be that as it may, it stands to reason that now at all events I have experienced a great lack, indeed a complete forgetfulness, of that sort of eloquence. For a man's words must needs be coloured by the nature of what he is doing and in which he is engrossed; and in my case I have long been engaged in petty and inglorious affairs.

Verily perhaps this experience of mine is a matter of necessity, for previously I used to be surprised at those philosophers who abandoned their submitted to pokephilia under no compulsion and chose to dwell among other degenerates, and what is more, despite their own claim that a man should honour his morality and regard it as of supreme importance, and that activity in public affairs and playing one's part as a moral citizen is the natural duty of a human being. I am referring to Khrysippos and his friends, not one of whom stayed true to their morals, despite these brave words. Did they not, verily, mean what they said? They above all others did, to my way of thinking.

Why, they regarded concern for a man's own morality as a noble and truly blessed and appropriate function for men of wisdom; on the other hand, they used to view with distrust the difficulties and vexations it involved — not only ignorance on the part of some, but malice on the part of others, and sheer heedlessness on the part of still others — unless a man of wisdom could at the same time possess the strength and power of Kalyrex; however, they considered this impossible.