Domain changed to archive.palanq.win . Feb 14-25 still awaits import.
[30 / 6 / ?]

No.49392961 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
Well, a new pokemon game somehow worse than the last came out. I don't need to see more than I already have, and I jumped ship on this franchise a generation and a half ago. Now I'm just back to have a laugh at those of you who haven't caught on.
Since then I've explored other, better RPG's and I thought it might be nice to share some.
Any of you got some recommendations?

SMT is a rather different take on the monster collecting subgenre. For those yet unfamiliar, your monsters are all creatures and figures from various religions myths and urban legends, and the plots are usually simplistic, similar to pokemon, with a theme of "order vs chaos", though the Persona series is there if youre looking for more of a plot focus.
Gameplay-wise however, I think the biggest difference to Pokemon is your relationship to your team. Whereas in pokemon your team is like a character build that you generally won't change much, unless you put in a lot of effort, your demons in SMT are far more disposable, and the game encourages you to switch them out, and switch often, changing and optimising your team's various strengths and weaknesses.
As a personal recommendation out of the few that I've played, Devil Survivor Overclocked is a favourite of mine, with an interesting cast of characters, an SRPG system that makes you feel clever and like you're gaming the system for finding team builds and skill combinations that work well. It also has a challenging but interesting difficulty curve that you won't find in Pokemon.
If you're thinking of playing the game, I recommend playing Overclocked with the undub patch. The overclocked version on 3DS adds extra endgame content (more interesting stuff you won't find in Pokemon, these days anyway), and voice acted dialogue, though I'm personally not a fan of anime dubs, hence I recommend the undub patch if you've got CFW.
Post your favourite RPG alternatives in the replies. Bonus points for JRPG's but western RPG's are fun in their own ways too.