Domain changed to archive.palanq.win . Feb 14-25 still awaits import.
[13 / 4 / ?]

PLA criticisms

No.49405518 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
PLA did a number of things right and the game feels refreshing when it comes to catching and battling mechanics. It introduced much needed QoL when it comes to things like battling speed, text, and other things like trade evolutions. However, in many other ways it feels half-baked and unfinished, forever giving the usual feeling that "this game is just practice for the next one, the REAL deal." I'm going to list some things I did not expect for PLA (because we know GameFreak works with short deadlines, unfortunately), but things that would have made this game feel like a full title. Maybe this can give some perspective for those who think we're all just "doomkeks" who want to hate the game out of habit. Moving on:

>Arceus should have had a prominent role in the story, it feels like an afterthought its own game. The current story is purposely generic because the writers did not center it around any particular pokemon, instead allowing the player to decide who the final "boss" would be in the initial conclusion of the story will be before introducing a more generic and, frankly, unconvincing rushed retread of Gen 4's "I want to make new world" plotpoint.
>A story that prominently features Arceus, Unown, and Giratina would have been fresh and original, as we have never seen much interaction between these pokemon in any game despite them being so tightly connected in lore (this does not necessitate that Arceus must be captured at the end of the story, it can still be left where it is as a reward for completing the dex). Dialga and Palkia were already featured in Gen 4, they can take a backseat in this story.
>Utilization of the Solaceon Ruins to give us more insight into the history of the ruins and its purpose, the Unown and their connection to Arceus, and Arceus' use for the Unown

(word limit, 1/2?)