Domain changed to archive.palanq.win . Feb 14-25 still awaits import.
[5 / 1 / ?]

PLA First Impressions

No.49508127 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
Decided to write a review of my first few hours with the game whether you like it or not. Not a shitpost/bait - it's my genuine feelings.

Pros:
>Core gameplay loop is enjoyable enough. I play Monster Hunter so it's very familiar, although there's definitely less to do compared to MH.
>Music is fucking quality m8.
>The atmosphere is super chill.
>The game has a nice art direction to it. Character models are pretty good, and the colours in the world are nice and vibrant. This is all held back by one of the cons though...
>Capture mechanics are quite satisfying. Luring skittish Pokémon with berries so they get close enough to catch hasn't gotten old yet.

Cons:
>Despite liking the art style, the graphics on a technical level are quite bad. Lighting/shader issues, glitchy terrain and objects, low-res textures all over the place, etc. I'm willing to look past it so it hasn't ruined my experience, but it sure as shit is there.
>The performance is fucking terrible. Game seems to rarely exceed 20fps, and considering the above graphical issues this is pretty unacceptable. Again - I'm willing to tolerate it, but a game that looks like this should not run as badly as it does.
>Battle balance seems a bit wonky. Weak moves doing far more than they should, Strong/Agile Style seemingly not affecting action speed all that much... it's not awful, it just throws you off a bit at times.
>What I've seen of the terrain in the Obsidian Fieldlands thus far is very repetitive. I'm hoping there are more vignettes/landmarks later on, because copy/pasting the same arrangement of grass + trees does not a compelling open world make.

Anything not mentioned here I'm just fine/neutral with. Feel free to agree, disagree, call me a fag/shill/etc. Ultimately I am enjoying the game a fair bit, but it definitely falls into the category of 'good game made poorly'. Then again this is Game Freak we're talking about here...