Domain changed to archive.palanq.win . Feb 14-25 still awaits import.
[102 / 8 / ?]

No.49588617 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
>play game
>read a bunch of reviews
>more complaints than compliments
How was this a step up?

The entire game feels like padding without trying to hide it. Star ranks feel like arbitrary goals to increase the total gametime and there are very few battles during the main storyto break up the monotony of filling out your dex.

The bosses are laughably easy as well. I understand this is a game for kids, but I think they went a bit too far. It's especially bad that using your mons to battle most things (when given the optino not to) is much slower than just continuing to throw balms.

The whole main gameplay loop feels extremely reminscient of PGO which, although appealing to a general audience, is a disservice to the franchise. PGO already had weird vibes when you start to realize you need to catch tens or hundreds of the same mon with very bonding aspects with your Pokemon.

The de-emphasis on strategic combat is also a disservice to the core games. I understand most Pokemon players as casual, but non-attacking moves (yes I know there are non-attacking moves in PLA, but they're pushed far more than not) provide a puzzle-solving aspect to players who DO want a challenge of some kind. You can purposefully underlevel your team or put some other restriction on yourself and rely on less orthodox strategies to do well.

Like PLA does some things well, but in all it feels like less of a "Pokemon game" and more homogenized in nature.

I really hope Game Freak doesn't take this game as a signal to make every future game a copy of this and instead goes back to a more traditional formula with the strong elements (quick capture, snappy battles, some more action-y content) included.