Domain changed to archive.palanq.win . Feb 14-25 still awaits import.
[109 / 8 / ?]

Has the entire medium of VTubing stagnated? If so, how could someone go about reinventing it?

No.10236031 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
This is gonna be a long post so I'm sorry in advance for everything. I hope I word myself well enough here, and I get if you don't want to read it, but I've had a lot of thoughts on this and wanted to get my ideas out there.

I personally feel that the entire medium of VTubing has stagnated hard. Vtubing has gone through iterations in its life cycle, for example, from long videos with Kizuna Ai and Nekomiya Hinata, to a live streaming format. In a case like this, the medium evolved into something else. However, Vtubing as it seems now cannot evolve past the live streaming format. I personally feel as if the top aspects of Vtubing are influencing the medium in a very bad way. The things that are getting the most amount of views, i.e. Nijisanji and Hololive, seem to be a lot of the exact same stuff over and over again. Lot of gaming streams, music projects, 3d events, etc. And I understand, these things get a lot of views, and people enjoy them. If it ain't broke, don't fix it right? That's true. However, I think this really poses a problem. There's no incentive to change, at all. Minecraft and APEX streams get 30k viewers without breaking a sweat for some Vtubers, but if that's all that the vast majority of big Vtuber content is, and that's what's successful in Vtubing, then that influences the medium itself and drives other smaller Vtubers to want to copy them because that's what's popular. When that happens, the medium stagnates as more and more people are doing the exact same thing. It's a vicious cycle.

Again I get it, these things get a lot of views and people enjoy them. But for the life of the medium itself, I don't see this as a good thing at all. And again there's no real incentive to push boundaries and change. I like the medium of Vtubing a lot, it allows for seemingly infinite possibilities to do whatever you want as whatever you want, and I don't want this medium to just become another internet trend that people look back on 10 years later as a fad. What I personally would like a lot, is a more serious, artistic, creative approach to Vtubing. I feel as if Vtubing can be so much more then what it currently is, and not just in the bigger agencies, but for independent creators too. I feel like taking risks in this medium could be a good thing and really shed light on this medium for being more then just streaming with anime avatars.

And to be fair, there are people in the bigger agencies that are doing this. Coco was one of the best examples of this. Was her content anything super deep or serious? No, and you didn't even have to think the content was that good. But Asacoco really kicked Vtubing in its ass imo, and showed people that you can do so much more then just stream some video games. Amelia is another person who again, you don't have to think her big project streams are that good, or that her content is anything deep or serious, it's not, but it's different, it's not the same kind of streams over and over again. I want that to personally be more of the norm and to have those creative, different streams be the standard of the medium. Now you can argue: "Well isn't this still streaming?" It is. I don't necessarily have an answer of how Vtubing goes beyond livestreaming. Would something like a real life mix of real person/vtuber model as like this alter ego-esque dynamic work, that really blurs the lines of the virtual world? Maybe, who knows? I want to see the medium continue to evolve and grow, and to me it just doesn't feel like it has, at least in the biggest parts of Vtubing. But to me, these biggest parts of VTubing has a huge influence on the rest of it, and that annoys me.

To pose some questions to you all: Do you feel like the medium has stagnated, and if so, how do you think Vtubing can evolve from just livestreaming/3D events and concerts/etc.? Is it a new type of content that even irl content creators haven't done yet?

TL:DR - I feel the medium of Vtubing has stagnated in the very top parts of it, and that stagnation influences others below them to do the same things, furthering the problem. I want the medium to evolve beyond that, and for more creative, artistic, serious approaches to the medium as a whole to be more of the standard, but maybe I'm just screaming into the void.