Domain changed to archive.palanq.win . Feb 14-25 still awaits import.
[5 / 2 / ?]

Reccomend any sort of media that might appeal to me

No.1136000 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
Idk why, but I can't seem to gel with what the majority of the modern anime fanbase likes.
It's not even that I hate anime, I grew up playing games like GBA Fire Emblem and Chrono Trigger while watching Lupin III and Detective Conan, and up to this day I can still enjoy the occasional good JRPG and I am currently reading and enjoying plenty of classic shonen manga (Shaman King, Rurouni Kenshin, Dragon Quest, etc.).
But stuff like isekai, generic black haired MCs and highschool harem shit is just... not for me?
It's not even that I hate modern weebshit as a whole, but it seems like I prefer more universal, western-oriented or unique stuff. Made in Abyss and Dai Dark for example are unique current series I love.
It seems like I've become kinda picky for things that are "too anime", unless it's over the top shit like Bastard!! or Gurren Lagann.
But then, here come a second problem. There are very few western cartoons I like as much as my favourite anime. I can't get past the either too simplistic or too gross art styles and the limitations of it being episodic and made for children, with even adult cartoons being mostly gross ugly comedies instead of meaningful serialized mature stories, that dominate the medium. Others disagree. I won't call western cartoon art styles and series "lesser" because they are usually weak in aspects I especially value or because I don't have a taste for US animation norms.
I've have a liking for sci-fi and fantasy novels and I am trying to get into western comics, but a lot of those still don't appeal much to me either.

TL;DR It seems like most popular fiction in general just doesn't appeal to me and I can't gel with the taste of what the communities in those spaces seem to like and consume. Can I get recs for "out of there" pieces of fiction?