Domain changed to archive.palanq.win . Feb 14-25 still awaits import.
[24 / 2 / 7]

Laptop Buying Advice

No.1185504 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
Hey /wsr/. In a pickle and need some help

I want a new laptop (not a desktop) and I figured I might as get something powerful . I'd expect this laptop to hopefully last me ~3 years if not more.

There's a Ryzen 7 5800H (8 core, 16 threads), RTX 3070 16GB RAM laptop on sale now available for $1180. It's cheap compared to other 3070 laptops here, but it's also more than I wanted to spend.

I think an RTX 3060 would do fine for me, and I'm hoping that model goes on sale for around $950. However this would be with 8GB RAM (upgradeable for extra cost) and a Ryzen 5 5600H processor (6 cores, 12 threads)

My question is, is it worth just paying the extra and getting the 3070 laptop, or do I hold out and hope for a sale on the 3060 laptop?

Are the extra cores, threads and improved GPU worth the cost and more "futureproof"?
The laptop is also available with an AMD RX 6600M, which is cheaper than both. Not sure if it's a good GPU.

As for usage, it'll be a mix of productivity and gaming. I don't need everything max settings at all, but I want to run things like Blender, try 3D animation, do light video encoding, that sort of stuff.
Maybe both the 3060 and 3070 are overkill?

Thanks