Domain changed to archive.palanq.win . Feb 14-25 still awaits import.
[13 / 6 / ?]

WINDOWS 95 EDITION - WINDOWS ICONS FLICKER THREAD

No.562103 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
First, some required reading:

why are the icons on the taskbar always flickering in windows 10????

wait..... i know the answer..
windows performs a redraw of the icons when a SHChangeNotify call is made to shell32, specifically either SHCNE_ASSOCCHANGED or SHCNE_UPDATEIMAGE, as outlined here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/api/shlobj_core/nf-shlobj_core-shchangenotify

This looks like shit and its amazing this issue persists. Now take a look at microsoft 'support' forums. Ouch.. here's a complaint about the issue from 2009 (LOL, 10 years ago) 'Taskbar Flickering constantly. How do I make it stop?'. A more recent one has a Top answer from windows Expert 'A. User' suggesting to run 'sfc /scannow' to solve the problem!

no one is behind the wheel of the ship at the windows division of microsoft, or even microsoft in general. really sad stuff

OK - now on to the important, pressing matters. yesterday I insisted this shit has been present since windows 95 and i had proof - but I fell asleep and forgot to do a capture. I got 95 running in virtualbox and made a capture of the flickering happening in icons all the way back in 1995!!! its an issue for, WOW thats 22 years now!! LOLOLOL 22 years of flickering, starting on the desktop now trickling down to the taskbar. Enjoy! Will post gif in follow up thread in a moment.