Domain changed to archive.palanq.win . Feb 14-25 still awaits import.
[5 / 2 / ?]

Need help with "Open With" command in Windows 7

No.893966 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
I'm experiencing a problem semi related to one that's already covered extensively online, yet different enough that I can't find a solution for:
Windows 7 install I've been using for years now. I also use a very old abandonware version of Paint Shop Pro (v3.11) for quick & easy basic image editing. I've had it installed on this machine since build and never any issues until now.
Starting a few days ago, whenever I right-click on a JPG or PNG file and choose the "Open With" command, and select "PSP.EXE" from the pop-up, instead of opening in PSP the image fucking opens in Windows Photo Viewer, as if I simply double-clicked on it. It's always worked before, but suddenly it's doing this shit. And it's only on JPGs and PNGs; if I perform the same action on a GIF, it actually opens in PSP the way it's supposed to. Haven't tried it on BMP yet.
Going to "Choose default program..." and selecting PSP.EXE as the default program with "always" checked STILL doesn't work; it still opens in Windows Photo Viewer. Out of curiosity, I tried setting the default to Chrome and that actually works. But setting it back to PSP just results in the image being opened in Photo Viewer again.
Tried doing all this through Default Programs in Control Panel as well, instead of the click menu, and still all the same shit.
Googling just gets me 8 million posts about people having corrupt registry entries in that the location for the desired program has changed, but I've checked HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\PSP.EXE\shell\open\command and the path for PSP.EXE is entirely correct. Searching all other instances of PSP.EXE in the registry doesn't return any incorrect paths either, that I can see.
>tl;dr: normally I'm able to right-click and open a JPG or PNG using my 25-year-old image program in Windows 7, but ever since a few days ago it still opens them in Windows Viewer like default
>pls halp
>pls no bully