Domain changed to archive.palanq.win . Feb 14-25 still awaits import.
[258 / 53 / 111]

Walkable memes

No.1917337 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
We will never get rid of car dependence unless we address the initial reason why people chose it.
>be me
>live near small TX town
>town doing the revitalizing downtown meme since Bush was governor
>actually booms during covid from all the blue state refugees moving their families and business in
>goes from 10% occupancy to 75%
>city decides to be walkable, spends the boom money on wide sidewalks, parks, trails
>garages for you to leave your car in at the edge and walk/cycle/scooter the rest
>bus and shuttle lines
>revamped the library
Major event last weekend:
>98% of attendants on one street, filled with bars , food trucks and hipster stands selling bullshit
>everyone fighting for street parking
>decide to walk around investigate why
>first thing that hits me is the smell of piss in the new beautiful park around the jungle gym
>next a fentanyl zombie passed out in the gazebo, passer by stops to check his pulse
>fat cow pulling a wagon with all her shit in it taking a shower on the kids splash pad, uses soap and it had to be shut down
>random COPD enthusiast cliques hogging benches and smoking
Any urbanist initiatives will be just a big meme and waste of money until we find a place for drug addicts and mentally ill.
There is a reason why you need well paid and trained professionals to deal with such people. You can't just expect families to let the kids play pass the narcan.
At the end of the day I was happy when I could get into my little bubble on 4 wheels and go home.