Domain changed to archive.palanq.win . Feb 14-25 still awaits import.
[15 / 1 / 14]

Is the 1997 merger overly blamed?

No.1974233 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
With the recent controversies over the Boeing 737 MAX, I have often heard that Boeings more recent failings could be attributed to the change in culture brought about by the merger with McDonnell Douglas in 1997. However, I wonder if this is excessively blamed because it is an easily visible target and whether or not the real causes are deeper or more complex. For example, I feel details such as these acquired from another forum are often left out:

1. Domestic airlines protected by regulation had been effective monopolies and Boeing's engineer-led culture thrived in an environment where airlines didn't care about costs. But that environment died with airline deregulation in 1978 and an engineer-led culture made it more difficult to compete in a cost sensitive environment.

2. Airbus' rise put Boeing on the defensive for the first time in many decades. By 1996, Boeing's market share was less than twice Airbus' and falling rapidly enough that people could foresee the day when Airbus would overtake them. Although Airbus had good aircraft, their key advantage was they could sell them for lower prices than Boeing could.

3. Shareholders had become increasingly activist, quick to overthrow management when they weren't getting enough dividends and share price increases, and willing to install new management who would give them what they wanted.
Outsourcing, cost-cutting, and a move to an accountancy-led culture were the obvious responses to these challenges and Boeing's then CEO, Phil Condit, had already started the ball rolling on them before buying McDonnell-Douglas.

What does /n/ think?