Domain changed to archive.palanq.win . Feb 14-25 still awaits import.
[24 / 0 / 1]

Sweden's deadly gang war has turned 'peacful' country into murder hotspot

No.1284447 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
THE GANGSTER

In a car park in a suburb in Sweden, Adam reveals how much money can be earned from shooting someone.

"If you shoot somebody in the leg, you'll get 50,000 krona (£3,700)," he says.

"Before, if you were going to kill somebody, you got a million [krona] (£76,000) - but now the prices are so low that everyone kills."

"I've eliminated almost everyone"

Now a young man, Adam has been in a gang since he was nine.

He covers his face to protect his identity - leaving only his eyes showing - and spits out terse answers to the questions we ask him.

"I'm not worried about my own safety, because I've eliminated almost everyone," he claims.

By his own admission, he has committed a litany of crimes and has been in prison several times.

"I've seen a lot of shit happen," says Adam (not his real name) in the city of Uppsala.

"I've seen people getting shot. I've seen people die, people getting hurt, mothers crying in despair. I've seen almost everything, but there's nothing you can do about it."

He is part of a wave of gang violence that has shocked Swedish society and turned the country, with a reputation as a safe and peaceful nation, into a homicide hotspot.

OUT TO KILL

Sweden's gun crime death rate is now the highest in the European Union. About 62,000 people are linked to criminal networks in the country, police say.

Most of the violence is a result of gang warfare, with more and more groups competing for territory and the lucrative narcotics trade.

For gangsters like Adam, this represents a business opportunity. He estimates he has earned two "rabbits" (slang for a million Swedish krona) for taking on jobs. That's about £150,000 - but with such financial rewards comes risks.

A week earlier, he says, a rival gang came for him, but the would-be assassins didn't get far.

https://news.sky.com/story/swedens-deadly-gang-war-has-turned-peaceful-country-into-murder-hotspot-13071608