Domain changed to archive.palanq.win . Feb 14-25 still awaits import.
[42 / 1 / ?]

Emmett Till bill making lynching a federal crime passes House

No.555982 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/emmett-till-bill-making-lynching-federal-crime-passes/story?id=69229940
>A bill to make lynching a hate crime under federal law passed the House on Wednesday, making it the first attempt since 1900 poised to successfully make its way through Congress.
>The legislature is titled the Emmett Till Anti-lynching Act, an ode to Till, a 14-year-old African American boy who was kidnapped, beaten and lynched in 1955 after he was accused of whistling at a white woman.
>The vote was 410-4. The members who voted against were Independent Rep. Justin Amash and Republican Reps. Louie Gohmert, Thomas Massie and Ted Yoho.
>Rep. Bobby Rush, D-Ill., who introduced the bill in January 2019, said it will finally outlaw "an American evil."
>"Today, we send a strong message that violence -- and race-based violence, in particular -- has no place in America," Rush said in a statement.
>He spoke about his decision to name the bill after Till, saying the boy was from his district in Chicago and that the now-iconic image of him in his casket "created an indelible imprint on my brain, on my spirit."
>Rep. Bobby Rush, D-Ill., who introduced the bill in January 2019, said it will finally outlaw "an American evil."
>"Today, we send a strong message that violence -- and race-based violence, in particular -- has no place in America," Rush said in a statement.
>He spoke about his decision to name the bill after Till, saying the boy was from his district in Chicago and that the now-iconic image of him in his casket "created an indelible imprint on my brain, on my spirit."
>"It made me conscious of the risk, the trepidation of being a black man in America," Rush said at a press conference.
>The bill describes lynching as an act willfully done by a collection of people who assemble with the intent to commit violence on another human and then cause that person's death, according to a copy of the bill.