Domain changed to archive.palanq.win . Feb 14-25 still awaits import.
[47 / 11 / ?]

No.1404299 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
Anyone else super bummed by the onset of winter and its effect on outdoor activities?

I like to go hiking and mountain biking to explore interesting terrain, see cool animals, or relax in peaceful areas. During the winter, all the terrain gets homogenized (leafless tree trunks of varying structure, conifers, white stuff), most animals are hibernating, and it's impossible for me to be really comfortable without expending a lot of set-up effort because the environment is fighting back.

I live in upstate NY, with 5-6 month winters and some of the highest snowfall levels. I don't totally hate the snow, and I do appreciate the activities it enables (snowshoeing, skiing, snow biking, etc) but they lose their novelty quickly.

I still go out almost every day and make the best of it, but it feels flatly worse most of the time than what I'd be doing in the summer, and that sucks.

How do you guys deal with this? Any suggestions to make the winter landscape more interesting? Lesser-known activities to try? Do I just need to move south?