Domain changed to archive.palanq.win . Feb 14-25 still awaits import.
[331 / 38 / ?]

Hobo Starter Pack

No.2038754 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
I will be (voluntarily) homeless within the next few days, as soon as I'm finished preparing. I picked this stuff up at Walmart today. My initial plan was to trek deep into the woods and hang myself, which should explain the strange and lackluster initial setup here. However, I've now come up with the fantastic idea of trying life out as a homeless person instead.

I know that killing myself would severely damage and possibly ruin the lives of three other people whom I love. It's hard for me to justify doing that. My hope is that they won't take my choice to live as a homeless man quite so badly, even if they find it worrying and confusing.

I envision myself as a Diogenes-type character, spending my days reading books, philosophizing, and writing down my own thoughts on things, for what they're worth. Ideally, I'd find some quiet wooded area on the outskirts of a small town to setup camp. It'll be rough living at first, no doubt, but I'm hoping I'll be able to gradually improve my setup over time, and eventually reach a point where I can live fairly comfortably, while also having the freedom to spend my time doing things that I enjoy. I'd like to avoid panhandling, but it may be necessary in the beginning. Eventually, I hope to find some more honest and dignified way of sustaining myself, perhaps something like a part-time farmer's helper.

I figure being a successful homeless person is a lot a about resource management and finding creative and intelligent solutions to problems, which I think are things that I enjoy and can excel at.

Apologies for the wall of text. Once I start writing, it's difficult for me to stop. To get to the point, I'm looking for any general advice, words of wisdom, or recommendations with regards to gear, supplies, or any other aspect of living as a homeless person. My current budget is about CAD $500 and I currently live in Southern Ontario.

Thank you for your time.