Domain changed to archive.palanq.win . Feb 14-25 still awaits import.
[34 / 9 / ?]

Advice for relatively new backpacker

No.2053068 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
Alright /out/, long time lurker here, but relative cityfag (Mostly browsed for fishing threads desu, it's what I do most of the time I'm outdoors). I'm headed to Philmont (BSA property in Northern NM) in July and am looking for recommendations on gear. I'm in shape for it for the most part, but never backpacked for more than a couple days. I got new boots which are better than my old ones and I have my Kelty coyote 65 pack that I've had for a few years and been told will work fine for Philmont.
Mainly what I'm looking for advice on is both gear and training: recommendations for tents and sleeping bags, as I have pretty good gear for everything else, and training because I live in the Mid-Atlantic and have only been hiking above 6k feet once. Anywhere I can go within a reasonable drive (I live 30min south of Philadelphia) or anything I can do to prepare for the altitude situation? I know the difference isn't much, but as someone with previous lung issues I'm worried.
If there's anything else recommended that I wouldn't know or is real /out/-tier I'm open to it. Reasonable price range, and I will be using it after this trip, I just haven't been in shape or had opportunity for good trips before now so I figured I should upgrade everything to allow for that possibility in the future.
19 scrawny nerd btw