Domain changed to archive.palanq.win . Feb 14-25 still awaits import.
[67 / 11 / 42]

Food selection for AT

No.2563637 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
I’m starting the Appalachian trail in May, I have a job and a career going so I am not doing a thru hike. I will be doing a 2 week long section to start with, and probably more similarly long sections in the future until I finish. I hope to make it into North Carolina at the very very least, which is very doable as I’m young and strong. I believe it is only 70-80 miles to the border on trail.

What should I pack as far as food? I think I might only pack for breakfast/lunch, dinner is nice but I dont need to carry the extra weight so I will have sleep for dinner.

Should I just go for maximum calorie density like picrel? I will only be on trial 2 weeks so protein or vitamin deficiencies arent a huge worry to me. I have heard I can mail a package somewhere to resupply with further down the trail, how can I find info on how /where to do this? I might pack food for one week, resupply, and then hike until I run out of food.

I do not have any specific set distance in mind, my goal is to go as far as my feet will carry me in 2 weeks without hurting myself.