Domain changed to archive.palanq.win . Feb 14-25 still awaits import.
[19 / 1 / ?]

Tips for Turkey Hunting

No.2712082 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
Hi /out/,

I just moved back to the States after spending some years abroad. To make a long story short, I'm originally from the Great Lakes region. I spent most of my childhood hunting in Northern Michigan and the Upper Peninsula, but now live in the mid-Atlantic within spitting distance of D.C. (I can literally see the Washington Monument and U.S. Capitol building from my balcony). There isn't a lot of hunting opportunity around, and I'm tentatively planning to head over to the Cranberry Wilderness in Monongahela National Forest, West Virginia, for spring turkey season. It runs from mid-April until mid-May, and is restricted to "bearded" turkeys only.

I never went turkey hunting when I was younger, and know fuck-all about what to do or look for. From my reading, it seems that:
>I need to learn a bit about different calls (and practice lots before even trying to use them--box call seems to be more beginner-friendly?)
>prioritize full-body camouflage, since turkeys apparently have great eyesight
>consider buying a lightweight ground blind (?)

Any other advice is appreciated--even simple, retard-tier advice. I also don't know much about hunting in the hills, since I grew up in Michigan, which is flat as fuck. TBQH, I have no expectations of having any luck this season and am viewing it as an opportunity to just get out of the house and away from electronics and the internet (my dad also recommended taking the chance to scout for autumn deer spots).

tl;dr--transplant from Michigan to the D.C. area, planning to turkey hunt in mid-April. Just looking for general advice on how to make a 5-6 day trip productive. Not expecting to have any luck, but want to feel like I have a good chance, too.