Domain changed to archive.palanq.win . Feb 14-25 still awaits import.
[20 / 2 / 9]

RAW out of camera just like its jpg image

No.4230235 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
>How do I get my RAW image to look exactly as its jpg image being displayed on my camera screen?

Started photography 2 months ago and am a canon user. I wanted to start post processing, so I switched camera settings to jpg+raw and downloaded the OEM software (Digital Photo Professional 4 & Picture Style Editor). Since I knew OEM software was lacking I also downloaded darktable & rawtherapee.

>https://global.canon/en/imaging/picturestyle/editor/
I started with the picturestyle editor and created my own setting which I imported to camera. The camera applies this style (tone curve correction) to all pictures taken and does the majority post processing crunt work. It is a slight modification of the colors I see in reality with an emphasis on turkis/aqua and blood orange (the colors I like seeing the most).

Now what suprised me is that the RAW image I took and viewed on my camera is not the same as the image being imported and shown in either darktable or rawtherapee. If I understand correctly, the image being displayed on my camera is not the actual raw data, but the embedded JPEG representing the raw image.

BUT I would like to start post processing from the image I took initially OR I wouldnt have taken, inspected and saved the picture to begin with. The canon picturestyle which I took hours optimizing is supposed to do the majority of work and give me more time for minute changes.
If the RAW image cant be imported with the style settings, this forces me to start post processing from scratch which makes no sense to me.
Why would I then shoot in RAW?

--> continued