Domain changed to archive.palanq.win . Feb 14-25 still awaits import.
[10 / 1 / 9]

How Bresson was a Surrealist?

No.4240895 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
>“Iʼm not interested in documenting. Documenting is extremely dull and journalism…Iʼm a very bad reporter and a photojournalist. Capa told me when I had an exhibition at the museum of Modern Art in ʼ46, he said no, heʼd be very careful. You mustnʼt have a label of a surrealist photographer. All my training was surrealism. I still feel very close to a surrealist but he said if you were labelled as a surrealist photographer you wonʼt go any further you wonʼt have an assignment and youʼre going to be like a hot house plant. Just forget it, do whatever you like but the label should be photojournalist. And Capa was extremely sound so I never mentioned surrealism, thatʼs my private affair. And what I want, what Iʼm looking for is my business. And Iʼm not a reporter. Its accidentally, itʼs on the side”

– Henri Cartier-Bresson

I don't get this link between Bresson and Surrealism. When I think of surrealism I think of that Dali's painting about clocks looking like rags and shit. Other than that I know nothing about it.

Can some anon explain the connection who knows some shit about surrealism?