Domain changed to archive.palanq.win . Feb 14-25 still awaits import.
[39 / 5 / 26]

Facts photographers need to know but pretend aren't true

No.4259628 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
50mm on the standard format (35mm) is a wide angle lens. Anything wider is an ultrawide. The actual "standard" focal length is somewhere between 65 and 85mm Anything else, including 50mm, is unnaturally distorted.

>inb4 NOOO MUH NATURAL FOV IS 28/35!
You aren't a camera. You see in a dynamically stitched panorama. You do not experience perspective distortion and parallax in the same way as a standard camera lens. Your retina is not a flat sensor. It's a complex psychological experience of the constant input of two curved "RGBW sensors" that work unlike any electronic device known to man. Even the most realistic video games do not look 100% like human sight, and in cinema, longer focal lengths like 65mm equivalent are preferred for a human-like perspective. 28 (~42mm equivalent) is a wide angle. Anything wider is used for dramatic artistic effects.
>I SERIOUSLY DOUBT THIS! MUH SENSOR DIAGONAL?
Stand outside when the moon is out. Grab your 50mm FOV lens and take a picture. Is the moon smaller than it was when you saw it? Then you don't see in 50mm. Wide angle lenses make distant objects smaller and closer objects seem larger.
>BUT MY 85MM CANT FOCUS CLOSE AND I CAN FOCUS AS CLOSE AS MY HAND IS LONG
That's your retarded lens makers fault now isn't it? Besides, your eyeballs are not a monocular camera with a flat sensor writing the sensor contents out to form an image intended for flat display mediums.