Domain changed to archive.palanq.win . Feb 14-25 still awaits import.
[47 / 6 / ?]

No.4299373 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
Sup friends!

TL;DR: Wanting to get back into photography, is a Canon 600D viable or should i upgrade?

I used to be real dedicated hobby photographer/videographer some 10 years ago. Bought a Canon 600D while still in school, and used it avidly for a couple of years. As time passed life and work took up more time, phone cameras got better and the DSLR has mostly been collecting dust for the past 10 years.

Just got back from a trip to Japan though, where I actually brought the camera, and god damn it sparked my fire for photography again! Obviously most photos i took on my trip is pretty shitty since I've lost all experience from spending the past decade only taking pictures with phones on full-auto and todays phones with 1000x the compute power of a DIGIC 4 does alot of (AI) filter magic and HDR to put my DSRL photos to shame.

Still I really liked the creative feel of taking pictures with a real camera and I have no doubt that a good photographer with a competent camera still beats the living crap out of a phone, especially with glass fit for the situation.

So to my question: How competent is a Canon EOS 600D / Rebel T3i / Kiss X5 today?
Obviously I will continue using it to regain my skills, but will it hinder me alot compared to getting a modern camera or is it still a legit viable option in 2024, and I should spend my money on good lenses instead?