Domain changed to archive.palanq.win . Feb 14-25 still awaits import.
[115 / 15 / 28]

Life or Circuits

ID:3hglcrST No.5688740 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
Hey everyone! Had an idea for a fun sort of post-Apocalyptic story where the starring main character is just a robot foot soldier from an old war. Takes some inspiration from the Fallout universe, but not a whole lot. Apologies in advance for all the lore I'm about to spew down your throat, I'll do my best to split them up into digestible chunks. But mental illness will probably make some of it hard to read, so again I'm sorry. I will attempt to update this quest at least once a day, if I have to miss a day for any reason, I'll try to let you all know. Just for fun, I decided to highlight some things in the history dump related to <span class="mu-r">names</span>/<span class="mu-r">organizations</span>/<span class="mu-r">government</span> in red, <span class="mu-g">Automatons</span> in green, and <span class="mu-b">Mechanimancy</span> in blue.

--------------------------------------

In late 2041, Mankind created the first truly thinking <span class="mu-g">Automaton</span>.

At the time, the public media proclaimed such an innovation as "more dangerous than the atomic bomb". Worse in their eyes, they were selling off the shelves at only a few thousand dollars commercially. For work, for children, for pleasure, any role one wanted. These machines walked amongst people, and despite looking like metal, spoke and acted just like them. This was no online chatbot, an <span class="mu-g">Automaton</span> was something- no, someone- you could really interact with. They responded to your actions, remembered your words, and even mimicked emotion. Some people in those early months called them friends, though plenty called them enemies. Either way, the future was coming fast and it was looking like circuitry.

That was until the <span class="mu-r">Automaton Regulation Bills</span> came to pass in mid-2042. Just like that, the short age of true AI ended. The "simulated emotions and thinking paths" of Automatons were heavily restricted if not completely suppressed. Though Automatons were still available for sale with public consumers, purchases tanked significantly as more and more bills passed. Few consumer-based companies survived, those that did only did so due to the contracts they signed with various militaries. In this fashion, defensive machines began to become a new market in the 2040s. Drones had already been replacing human pilots and various other tasks, but now even foot soldiers could be retired from the front lines. It wouldn't be until the 2060s that <span class="mu-g">War Automatons</span> became a truly viable option, however.