Domain changed to archive.palanq.win . Feb 14-25 still awaits import.
[216 / 32 / 1]

The Graverobber's Daughter XV

ID:P/p8WADg No.5982823 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
... must necessarily concern itself with marriages where the spouses belong to different Standings. Citizens of all stripes may stoop as low as a Subject, so long as the Subject has at least Patent and Nomen. Likewise, a Subject so endowed may take a Subject without such an endowment, so long as their profession, condition or conduct has not rendered them <span class="mu-i">Infamis</span>. Similarly, Subjects without Patent and Nomen, who cannot marry without the knowledge and leave of the Authority whose name they bear, and in some places may even find themselves compelled into marriages by their Authority, are also subject to the <span class="mu-i">Lex Iulia</span> and <span class="mu-i">Papia Poppaea</span>. - regardless if they or their Authority are the one seeking the marriage. Subjects with decency cannot be bound to those without, nor may they ever be bound to a Fearful and Lawful alien, nor a Fearful slave. Subjects in <span class="mu-i">Infamis</span> may be married to a Subject of the same state, or a suitable alien or slave. When two spouses belonging to different Standings are bound, any issue take the Standing of the lesser - with the exception of the Subject in <span class="mu-i">Infamis</span>. In this exceptional case, an alien being both Fearful and Lawful becomes a Subject in <span class="mu-i">Infamis</span>, as do their offspring, while slaves married to these piteous Subjects remain slaves, though the issue will be Subjects in <span class="mu-i">Infamis</span> - and they will not be allowed any avenues of matriculation and naturalization. Attend well that no other pairings with and issue from slaves or aliens are subject to the <span class="mu-i">Lex Iulia</span> or the <span class="mu-i">Papia Poppaea</span>, as they are without wedlock.

Beyond restricting the Sum of the Whole to suitable matches, these laws promote them as well. Those who are not, nor ever have been married, <span class="mu-i">caelibes</span>, may take neither <span class="mu-i">hereditas</span> or <span class="mu-i">legatum</span> that would otherwise be their due, while those who have never been in a union with issue, <span class="mu-i">orbi</span>, are only entitled to half. Such penalties are in force from sixteen until a man achieves the age of sixty or a woman achieves the age of fifty. This is held above the <span class="mu-i">Ius Accrescendi</span>, so that the portion of <span class="mu-i">hereditas</span> voided, being either half or whole, is not divided amongst the other heirs of the testator, but instead is taken by the Authority to which the testator submitted. Voided <span class="mu-i">hereditas</span> may still be calculated into the death duties, though they are commonly waived. Beyond this inducement, there are others, such as <span class="mu-i">Ius Trium Liberorum</span>, which affords particular rights and privileges to Named Subjects and their betters who have produced at least three children. No equivalent instrument, with equivalent rights and privileges exists for those Subjects without Patent and Nomen, though they are still subject to its penalties.

- A passage from <span class="mu-i">Imperatives and Rights, a Treatise for the Named Subject</span> on <span class="mu-i">Lex Iulia</span> and <span class="mu-i">Papia Poppaea</span>, the laws which outline and induce suitable marriages.