Domain changed to archive.palanq.win . Feb 14-25 still awaits import.
[180 / 8 / ?]

No.15251869 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
After seeing all the people here whine about how the Japanese use "cheap" tactics when playing online and experiencing multiple battles myself, I guess it's safe to say that Smogon has almost completely ruined the western metagame and players. How's that? Let me explain:

As we all know, Smogon has turned the western metagame into Sweepers vs. Sweepers: The OHKO: The metagame. Rightfully, and thankfully, some people are complaining about this. Pokemon was never intended to be like this, since otherwise we'd only have fast sweepers. Think about Koga's E4 team in Gen II. Does that guy go hyper offense against you? No. He uses "dirty" tactics like entry hazards, Toxic stalling, evasion and confusion. Game Freak is completely aware of a playing style like this, which is why they make even certain NPCs fight like that. Pokemon is supposed to have multiple styles of battling. This is why it's so ridiculous to ban stuff like evasion. There's a reason why moves like Haze and Aura Sphere exist, and now that Roar and Whirlwind bypass accuracy check there's even less reason to complain.

Luck is often something smogonfags complain about. "Bohoo you only won because my Stone Edge missed, hax." Because of the nature of the current western metagame, people are actually choosing power over reliability because OHKO is all that matters. When you make that decision, you'll accept the fact that you might lose due to the move missing thanks to its poor accuracy. Luck has always been a part of Pokemon games and will always be. It's intended to be there, hence critical hits, secondary effects, evasion, accuracy and so on. Pokemon isn't supposed to be just fully optimized calculations.

The Japanese know that we westerns use just fast sweepers because of Smogon and that's why they abuse stuff like evasion and Trick Room and wipe the floor with you, after which you come here and whine how the Japanese rule the ranking lists.