Domain changed to archive.palanq.win . Feb 14-25 still awaits import.
[8 / 3 / ?]

Can Sun and Moon top GO's success?

No.27139926 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
Okay, I brought this up a few threads ago, but I think it deserves its own topic.

GO is introducing a lot of newcomers to the Pokemon series through a fairly straightforward catching and combat system, allowing them to appreciate the more complex gameplay of the main series more easily. Also, GO is bringing back a lot of the first generation to play the main series by rekindling the feeling of freedom and exploration that the first games put forth towards their own generation.

However, I think the question must be asked if Sun and Moon can adequately follow up on the elements of exploration, unity and interaction that makes up the very core of GO's gameplay.

In GO, there is one major quality that differentiates itself from the main series games: randomness. Other than times and general locations when and where one can find certain Pokemon, there's no telling what can spawn. A major aspect of GO's success is the fact that one can walk out the door in anticipation for the Pokemon they will catch and the people they will meet in their travels. But with Sun and Moon, it's the opposite. The entire region, battles with trainers, Pokemon locations, and their encounter rates are entirely defined and finite. As if that wasn't enough, every player is for themselves. No teams, no cooperation, nothing of the sort other than trading, and even that is ineffective to a degree what with the obedience system.

What's more, GO is far more accessible to people than the main series ever will be; its is a completely free app on a device that is pretty much required to function in today's society. But with Sun and Moon it would cost someone around $120 at minimum to get both one version and a system to play it on.

Nintendo/Game Freak got a LOT more than they expected with GO, and they're going to have to do a lot of work to ensure that Sun and Moon can follow the act successfully. What do you guys think?