Domain changed to archive.palanq.win . Feb 14-25 still awaits import.
[34 / 9 / 25]

ITT: Generations that really “got” a type

No.54033885 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
Post about generations where you think every (or almost every) single contribution to the type’s roster was good.

To start with: everyone always talks about gen 5 and 7’s bugs, but nobody ever mentions gen 2, which is a serious shame.
Scizor, Ariados, Ledian, Yanma, Shuckle, Heracross, Forrettress? Fuck, there isn’t a single miss in that entire roster- and considering the sheer volume of designs, I find that incredibly impressive.

Gen 3 also REALLY understood the fighting type, I think.
Blaziken is a fucking awesome fighting rooster based off of actual cockfighting- an expansion of the type’s concept that makes total sense and stays within the general idea of ‘humanoid based off of martial arts’,
Medicham is an incredibly clever way of making a psychic/fighting type- through meditation and spirituality as opposed to something more literal like a psychic sword,
and Hariyama is the coolest damn sumo i’ve ever seen.
Breloom is the only real exception, with its justification for the type being pretty vague as far as I can tell, but I don’t care because its design is so unorthodox and interesting that it more than makes up for that. Fighting mushroom bird thing. Fuck yes.

Gen 5 also has a very very good batch of dragons. I can’t really justify that, I just think they’re all really really cool. The only slight miss is Druddigon since I think its vestigial wings being so vague in shape makes the design look a bit less complete, but I don’t even dislike it.