Domain changed to archive.palanq.win . Feb 14-25 still awaits import.
[58 / 6 / 23]

The Pokemon Timeline

No.55451296 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
So I've been wondering about this while replaying the games cause it seems really weird to me.
The popular consensus with the Pokemon timeline seems to be that Gens 1 and 3 happen around the same time and the same is true for Gens 2 and 4, taking place 3 years after 1 and 3.
However one thing's always seemed kind of weird about this - Pokemon eggs.
In Gen 1 obviously eggs don't exist and after that in Gen 2 the origin of Pokemon and the existence of eggs is treated as a big deal.
But in Gen 3 eggs are just a common thing despite it supposedly taking place 3 years prior to their discovery in Johto.
But then comes Gen 4 and once again eggs are treated as this new unknowable thing that's been recently discovered by... professor Elm in Johto... so what about the eggs that were being hatched in Hoenn?
I guess you could say Gen 3 doesn't take place at the same time as Gen 1, since the games don't really seem to have any kind of connection or hints at that being the case like the Gen 4 games do, but then when they remade Gen 2 they changed it so that Pokemon Eggs are already commonplace likely because of their presence in the Hoenn games, despite DPPt still treating them as a new discovery made in Johto.
So what gives? When were eggs discovered? Which games are canon to what? Is everyone gonna stop talking to me because I care this much about obscure Pokemon lore?