Domain changed to archive.palanq.win . Feb 14-25 still awaits import.
[303 / 31 / 143]

The Slow Decay of Vtubing

No.21601803 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
I feel like we're about to take another step back in terms of content, and I say that with confidence as it's happened many times before.

Let me explain.
Initially vtubing was high quality, it was in its infancy and nobody was sure how to do things. But with Kizuna AI at the helm vtubing was lead by high quality 3D productions focused on delivering easily digestible and entertaining content. The investment cost was high but the return quality was even higher. This was the golden age of vtubing where produced content was paired with the highest quality vtubing models and tracking to make the best content possible.
Between this and the next milestone there was a chain of cheaper knockoffs typically vrchat focused, but while there were some notable names it never caught on and was inferior.

The next big milestone was nijisanji with tsukino mito. This is what popularized the streaming craze. The cheap L2D models combined with low investment streams immediately lowered the bar to entry. In exchange for the lower quality however you received direct interaction with the content creator. This for awhile lead to a split between high effort videos and low effort streams, however with the lower investment costs streaming eventually won out and vtubing has forever taken the hit, relegated to becoming streamers instead of content creators. However in the start of this Era with leaders like Mito the streams were novel and entertaining.
I'll had a half milestone here for hololive. They popularized not just vtubing to mass audience overseas but continued to lower the quality by focusing on even lower effort gaming streams where they didn't need to make an effort to connect with the audience, they just had to make generic streamer noises lowering the bar even further.

I believe with NijiEN we're about to enter an even lower state of vtubing. Gone are the days of high quality produced videos. Gone are the days vtubers are expected to interact with their chats. And now, now even watching the vtuber we want to watch is being taken away. With daily collabs vtubing is being turned from interacting with a streamer we like, to just watching on the side line as an unrelated group of friend ignores us and fucks around on their own. There is no longer any semblance of quality or production value, no creativity, just people recording themselves playing a game with friends with no interaction with their audience. It's all the low effort low quality of a stream, with none of the audience interaction that popularized it in the first place.

I honestly believe NijiEN is about to ruin vtubing again. Just like how NijiJP ruined vtubing in the past.
I can only hope that someone somewhere out there realizes where it all went wrong and returns us to the golden age of vtubing when kizuna ai was king.