Domain changed to archive.palanq.win . Feb 14-25 still awaits import.
[44 / 4 / ?]

What Makes a Vtuber?

No.4716267 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
I made the first thread a few days ago at this point, and I was content to let it die. However it seems that the recent Calli Collab with an anituber has caused autism to flare like a firestorm across the catalog. Whether as a meme or as legit posting, I don't know or truly care.
This brings me to bring back the question, what makes a vtuber? The last thread culminated into the following list.
>1: Have a character of some sort.
Whether that character is a fully 3D character or a 2D PNG does not matter.
>2: That character must have some sort of personality to it that you need to play into.
How much that personality may blend with your IRL self does not matter, though a healthy mix should be used. It is also assumed that the personality of the character is related to some sort of lore. In short, keep up some level of kayfabe.
>3: Avoid as much IRL issues as possible.
By issues, it is assumed to mean things similar to the following; Racial Injustice, Gun Violence, Gender Politics. While these issues may be included here and there through stories, it is a best practice to avoid too much IRL issues. A vtuber is an entertainer selling a respite from the real world, too much bleed through ruins that. Each vtuber group / individual has a level they tend to keep to and it is not uniform.
>4: NEVER have connections to your IRL self.
This is a critical point that must never be broken. To have your IRL self interact with your vtuber self is a taboo worthy of ending your career. This causes the illusion to shatter, see rules 2 and 3 as for why that must be avoided. Autists figuring out roommate information is not applicable here, but as a note one should scuttle as much as they can if they wish to be a vtuber.
>5: Must Stream content on a somewhat regular basis.
A regular basis is different for each vtuber, but to be a vtuber one must produce live video content of some kind. Prerecorded content is fine to include alongside Livestreaming, but if you produce only Prerecorded content then you are not a vtuber but an anituber or something similar. If you don’t produce any video content, but still somehow apply to the previous rules, then you are a vtweeter or something similar.
>6: Brand yourself as a vtuber.
This one seems relatively simple, and obvious, but necessary. If you do not brand yourself as a vtuber, then you are not a vtuber. There are plenty of content creators that already meet the aforementioned rules, but they are not considered vtubers due to this rule. Of course this rule is here with the intention to be removed at some point, the hope is to have enough rules to define what a vtuber is that this one becomes redundant.
So Anon, what makes a vtuber to you?