Domain changed to archive.palanq.win . Feb 14-25 still awaits import.
[10 / 1 / ?]

Japanese translation question

No.1460222 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
Hiya, I'm doing a new fansub for Mishima: A Life In Four Chapters and there's a line I'm stuck on. Is it possible for 可愛 to have a negative connotation? If so, what?

Surrounding lines for context. Speaker A has a severe stammer and wants to be liked as he is/for who he is, but Speaker B thinks that's a naive/sentimental ambition since he's 'deformed' (it's set in old Japan, and Speaker B is also 'deformed' with a club foot and is cynical and nihilstic because of his ill treatment) and that Speaker A should lower himself to using his disability manipulatively to get what he wants:

A: 片輪って... 壊せヘん鏡ちっと見せつけられてるみたいなもんや. [Being crippled... is like being followed by a reflection you can't break.]
B: 君は, 自分が可愛すぎるんだよ. [You know, you're too ??????.] This is the line I need help with.
B: だから, たかがどもりぐらいや, そんなに可哀相に思えるんだ. どうせ. 詩かなんか書くんだろ. [That's why you feel so sorry for yourself over a mere stammer. Let me guess, you write poetry or something?]
A (pointing): 金閣寺... 美しすぎて... 怖いんや. [The Golden Pavilion... It's so beautiful, it frightens me.]

B: なんだ? 坊主か? もう救いようねえな! [What's that? A monk? He's beyond help!]
B: それにしても甘いんだよ. 人に好かれたいなんて思う事自体. [Still, it's naïve. To hope for people to like what we are.]
B: 所詮ありえないん. 認めるんだな. [It's just not possible. You have to admit it]
A: でも… [But...]
B: それさえ認めりゃ, 反対にその弱みを餌にして, 女の気を引けるじゃないか. よし. 見てろよ. [Admit it, and you can use your weakness as bait to attract a woman's attention instead. Alright? Watch this.]