Domain changed to archive.palanq.win . Feb 14-25 still awaits import.
[22 / 3 / 1]

The world (((they))) denied us

No.20175937 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
I read a lot of comments and thoughts of World of Warcraft players during the vanilla days (2004-2007), and they all matched up with my own experience in other MMOs during the same time frame. People actually set on exploring the world, being socially nice to each other, friendly, building long communities, respect, etiquette, game culture... a high trust world, even though people were anonymous and mostly free of consequences.

When people attempt to explain that phenomenon, to find a reason to why things were like that, they often default to "we were younger". But I then realized something rather terrifying.
Back in the mid-2000, the third world had no internet access at all. Even in the first world, only around 40% of households had it around that time. Poor people, minorities and third worlders were simply not there.
The only way to access the internet was through a full desktop computer, needing a desk and dedicated space at home for it. Internet subscriptions were not exactly cheap either. You also needed to know how to properly use a computer and troubleshoot your own problems. And some more obstacles too.

All those conditions and obstacles made it so that MMOs of the day were a world 99% populated by educated, mid to high income people from first world nations (that were, at the time, much whiter than today).

We experienced a purely white, educated world, and it was beautiful. Why did such a thing existed back then? Because we had many walls to protect it.

This is the world that our politicians denied us by importing niggers by the millions. Our countries could be just like those old MMOs communities were. Well, minus the night elves pussy, but we can't do anything about that...